Looking at some original equipment camper locks suggests security is intended for use where unauthorized entry is not going to happen. And, it is true, that over the many years we have been camping, we have never had anyone break in. Still, we stow anything valuable—cameras, radios, phones, etc., in our locked vehicle when away from the campsite for any period.
The following are upgraded door entry/lock systems that should upgrade camper security. The first three also bring camper locks to the same level of technology and auto locking systems, including keyless entry and remote operations. Regardless of the locking mechanism, security is the primary mission of door locks. The six door locks selected are equal to or far better the original equipment on most campers. As indicated, the first three feature remote operation and coded touch pad keyless entry system (while also having a key-operated option).
Speaking of batteries, the remote locks featured each require two AA batteries for the remote and keyless functions. As with anything battery-operated, we recommend have spare fresh batteries on hand.
Of course, technology comes with a price. The remote locking systems all cost between $140 and $200. While the level of security is about the same as manual locks, they offer the ease of remote operations.
A Word About Security: From the day they leave the factory, campers are being towed, shown, and moved around. As a convenience to the camper industry, many campers are delivered with “passkey” locks. Passkeys are provided to and used by the camper industry so that dealers, haulers, and maintenance technicians can open and show, deliver, or work on campers without having the actual key for each lock.
If there is no other reason for replacing your camper’s door latches/locks is eliminate access to the camper via a passkey. You might think that this should be a given, as owners are expected to know everything about their vehicles as part of its upkeep. However, that is not always the case.
Electronic Versus Manual Locking Systems: The primary difference between the two systems is the convenience of remote locking and unlocking of the electronic devices. Quality locking systems, either manual or electronic, will provide the same level of security.
Sizes and Fitting: Measure your door handle and locking assembly carefully when selecting a replace security door handle. The key dimensions are the opening in the door into which the locking and door opening assembly fits. The exterior dimensions may differ, but most locks should fit in the existing opening.
Mounting Hardware: All of the locking systems reviewed include all needed hardware.
Door Latch/Lock Dimensions: When shopping for a replacement door latch/lock assembly, it is important to get the right size. If you measure the plate around the base of your door latch and use those figures, you may not get the right assembly. The key measurements are the dimensions of the hole in the door that the assembly fits through. Flanges and extensions on the replacement unit may make it look too big.
First, remove the original lock assembly and measure the opening in the door, including the thickness of the door. Most, but now all lock assembly openings are 2 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ to 3″ x 4″ and door thicknesses from 1 1/4″ to 1 1/2″. Use the dimensions when shopping to make sure the unit you select will fit.
Our Six Top-Rated DC-Powered Televisions for Campers
1. REC PRO RV Deadbolt Electronic Door Lock – Editor’s Pick
The touchpad allows you to set a four-digit PIN for security. You can reset the PIN whenever you want. The keypad lights up when touched. Like most keypads for campers, numerals “9” and “0” are not included
This is a solid unit that should be durable and reliable allowing a high level of confidence for your unit’s security. An integrated deadbolt provides additional security.
Summary: This is a quality camper or RV door security system and offers three means of unlocking: a user defined keypad code, a remote fob, and keys if the batteries fail.
2. MICTUNING IC RV Door Lock RV Keyless Entry Door Lock Handle Latch with IC Card Wireless Remote Control
Unit features easy installation with detailed instructions for owner installation.
Although the unit offer excellent battery life, when the battery power is low, three long beeps alert you that battery power is low.
In addition to the rugged look of a serious security lock, we like the fact that there are keys in the event of complete battery failure. Note, replacing the battery will NOT change remote or key card codes.
Summary: This is a solid lock that will provide superior security over any original equipment door lock and many after-market systems too. Three modes of operation, including keys assure both security and access. Whether replacing a worn lock or upgrading, this unit will provide upgraded security.
3. RVLock Key Fob and RH Compact Keyless Entry Keypad
Security features include programmable keypad with more than 1 million possible rolling codes, a remote fob, and two mechanical keys, giving you options for locking and unlocking the door, as well as increased security.
Manufactured with a heavy-duty steel core for security and durability.
You can also get other security equipment for your RV’s interior, such as storage locks, making it easy to have all the doors keyed alike for convenience. Now you can bring valuables along with you on your trip without worrying about a burglary.
RVLock has an established reputation for innovative quality products for travel campers for years.
Like many keypad door locks, the ‘0’ and ‘9’ are included in the numbers.
Manual (Not Remote) Entry Door Locks
The following Entry door locks and opening sets are strictly manual, key-only locks. While they do not offer the convenience of remote or coded locks, they provide equally good security at a significantly lower cost.
- SECURE KEYLESS RV HANDLE: If you're looking for a way to secure your valuables as you travel with loved ones in the family trailer or camper, this programmable keyless handle is just what you need. This handle is perfectly designed for individuals who are right-handed and has a heavy-duty steel core for durability.
- FITS MOST TRAILERS: We have designed our innovative keyless lock technology to fit campers, 5th wheel, bumper-pull style, horse, and cargo style trailers. In addition, it works well for most traveler trailer entry doors. This handle offers all the benefits of the V4 handle in a more lightweight option. It replaces standard handles of about 3.75” x 2.75” x 1.5 and will draw less attention because it is more compact.
- VARIETY OF FEATURES: Our compact lock comes with a variety of useful features, including a keyless handle, integrated keypad with your choice of over 1 million possible rolling codes, a remote fob (add up to 10), mechanical keys, 4 aa batteries, and an easy 10-minute installation. You can choose to use the keypad or the wireless fobs to lock or unlock the handle.
4. Bauer RV Entry Door Lock, AP Products
Squeeze Latch upgrades existing entrance door latches and offers tamper-proof security, ease of use for individuals with large hands, manicured nails, and arthritic hands. The squeeze latch uses the same hole pattern as most paddle-style handles. it installs easily with just a Phillips screwdriver from inside the coach. Hardware and keys are included.
The Bauer door latch is described as especially easy to open for individuals with arthritis or ladies with painted nails.
All installation hardware and keys are included.
- Upgrades existing entrance door latch
- Offers ease of use for individuals with large hands, manicured nails, and arthritic hands
- Uses the same hole pattern as most paddle-style handles
5. TriMark 601650 Door Handle
One of the most secure RV door locks on the market, would even resist severe mechanical stressed caused by a pry-bar or hammer. Can be used with power actuation for locking.
Has handle inside for easy closure. Door can be locked before the door is shut.
Many users like the sleek look compared to the typical manufacturer’s original equipment.
- 5-3/4" wide x 5-1/4" height
- Interior & Exterior Assembly
- 2 Sets of Keys (one set for each lock) and 2 screws
6. LeisureLocks RV Travel Trailer Entry Door Lock
This door lock has a built-in deadbolt that provides additional security. Although designed for travel trailers this model works on many types of utility trailers.
Fits door cutouts from 2 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ to 3″ x 4″ and door thicknesses from 1 1/4″ to 1 1/2″.
The lock includes two pairs of keys, one for the handle and one for the deadbolt. The paddle can be locked before the door is shut.
The deadbolt is the key to the security provided by this door latch assembly.
This is the only door latch assembly that is white. Despite its familiar, basic design, the key and lock assembly provide better security than standard equipment locks, at a very affordable price.
- Replaces most popular locks by Fastec, Global as well as other brands
- These RV door locks have a built in deadbolt. This provides that extra sense of security. RV door locks for travel trailers come in Black. This model is designed for travel trailers, yet works well with cargo haulers, horse trailers or custom utility trailers
- Fits Hole cutouts from 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" to 3" x 4" and door thicknesses from 1 1/4" to 1 1/2".
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do all lock assemblies make a noise when operated?
First this is only a concern with remote or key-pad locks. The tones are to confirm that the door lock has been activated. Some people feel that the tone may alert potential thieves to the fact that you are leaving. Some units allow the tone to be deactivated. Check for this feature if it is of concern to you. This is not a concern with the manual, non-electronic locks.
Note: Serious thieves will know if you are leaving with, or without, the sound of a door being locked! What is important is the security actually provided by the lock.
Most of these units are designed for user installation. Make sure the packaging includes the necessary instructions. If, after reviewing the instructions, you are unsure about installing the lock, talk to your local camper service facility or even an auto mechanic.
Where can I purchase one of these lock assemblies?
All these units are available online, usually from several vendors, so you may be able to shop around for best price, fastest delivery, etc., and the Internet will offer a complete selection of brands and styles. Most camper sales and service facilities will offer one or several brands.
Last update on 2022-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API