With so much of our lives revolving around modern technology, nobody likes to be without electricity for an extended amount of time. To avoid long power outages or emergencies, many people choose to invest in a portable generator.
However, with so many options, finding the right choice can be a challenge. Luckily, we’ve compiled a list of the best portable generators currently on the market.
There may be a lot of different choices to pick from, but there are certain key features that can separate an average portable generator from a high-quality one:
- Types of Generators: the three main types of generators include portable, standby, and inverter
- Fuel-Efficiency: how many hours of power you’ll get from one tank of gas
- Noise Level: portable generators measure their sound in decibels
- Fuel Type: while gas generators tend to be the most common, diesel generators tend to provide better efficiency
Now that you understand what to look for, it’s time to look at the best portable generators to purchase.
Budget Portable Generators
Looking for a budget-friendly generator? Check out these picks.
1. NusGear Solar Power Portable Generator – Editor’s Pick
With a larger power capacity, the NusGear Portable Generator can present a wide array of features without the higher price-tag.
- ♔【Large capacity battery power】: This 155Wh portable solar generator provides larger power capacity, that means the camping power supply can efficiently power up the same electronic devices longer. It can fully charge the mobile phone 22 times, the laptop 4 times, the CPAP machine takes about 2-3 hours, the led light is more than 40 hours, and the mini refrigerator is about 5 hours. Applicable for emergency situations such as hurricane emergency, camping off-grid, short blackouts.
- ♔【Widely range of application】: NusGear 155Wh portable charge station built in AC outlet (110V, max 155W) for charging laptop, TV, fan, lights etc; DC ports (10A / 120W max) for holiday lights, charging air pump, car air fan, car charger, CPAP machine, car refrigerator, monitors, RC drones etc; 2 USB ports (3.1A max),1 QC 3.0 USB and 1 QC 3.0 USB C for charging phones, e-reader tablets, mp3 player, headphones etc and Type-C USB devices. Please make sure AC device does not exceed 150W.
- ♔【Multiple input modes & solar recharge】: The rechargeable power station weighs only 3.52lbs and a compact handle design makes it's easy to take it to everywhere for outdoors enthusiasts. There are multiple ways to charge the portable power station. On the wall, you can recharge the power supply by AC outlet. When driving, recharging is super-easy by 12V cigarette lighter for 8-9 hours. And built-in MPPT helps it recharged under sun with solar panel (18-23V/35-40W and sold separately).
2. DuroStar DS4000S Portable Generator
With all the power to meet your heavy-duty needs, this DuroStar Portable Generator has all the power in a cost-effective package.
- Plenty of Power – With 4,000 peak watts and 3,300 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads, from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools
- Powerful Engine – The DuroStar 208cc OHV engine is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs, from powering high voltage appliances to heavy duty power tools
- Low Oil Shutoff – Protects your investment by automatically shutting the generator off when it senses that the oil is low
3. Mech Marvels Portable Generator
With plenty of power and approved safety ratings, the Mech Marvels Portable Generator has everything you need in an affordable package.
- 1,500 surge watts and 1,200 running watts can run small appliances, and power tools
- 94cc 4-stroke OHV clean engine with EPA III compliant certification
- Decibel rating: less than 68Db with no load. Oil Capacity - 13.5 ounces
Premium Portable Generators
These portable generators meet the qualifications for our “premium” category:
1. Westinghouse Portable Generator – Editor’s Pick
With an impressive warranty and large power capacity, the Westinghouse Portable Generator is our favorite in this category and can operate anywhere that it needs to.
- 7500 Running Watts and 9500 Peak Watts; Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 11 Hours of Run Time on a 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge
- Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5-20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One L14-30R 120/240V Twist-Lock Receptacle; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Plug-and-Play: Comes with a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User's Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
2. DuroMax Dual Fuel Electric Start Portable Generator
Boasting an impressive wattage, the DuroMax Dual Fuel Electric Start Portable Generator can meet all your power needs while remaining user-friendly and convenient.
- Powerful DuroMax Engine: the XP12000EH is powered by a DuroMax, 457cc OHV engine.
- Dual fuel technology: the ability to run on propane or gasoline allows the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice.
- Plenty of power: with 12,000 starting watts and 9, 500 running watts, This unit can handle heavy loads from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools.
3. Ford Dual Fuel Portable Generator
With a larger fuel capacity and impressive wattage, the Ford Dual Fuel Portable Generator is a flexible model with plenty of premium features.
- 11, 050W Peak/ 9, 000W Rated (Gasoline) & 10, 050W Peak/8, 100W Rated (LPG)
- The powerful 457cc, Single Cylinder, 4-Stroke, OHV, Air Cooled Engine is protected by a Heavy-Duty Powder Coated Steel Frame
- A Large 6. 6 Gallon High Capacity Fuel Tank gives you up to 10 Hours of Continuous Operation at half load when running on gasoline
Quiet Portable Generators
Looking for a quieter generator? Check out these picks.
1. WEN Super Quiet Portable Generator – Editor’s Pick
Designed to operate at full capacity with much less noise, the WEN Super Quiet Portable Generator is our favorite in this category.
- Ultralight body weighs in at a mere 39 pounds for easy transport and storage
- Extremely quiet operation comparable to the sound of a normal conversation according to the US Department of Health and Human Services
- Produces 2000 surge watts and 1700 rated watts of clean power for safe charging of sensitive electronics (phones, tablets, televisions, computers, etc.)
2. Briggs & Stratton PowerSmart Portable Generator
Engineered to be quiet and fuel-efficient, the Briggs & Stratton PowerSmart Portable Generator can provide all the wattage that you need without all of the noise.
- Quiet and fuel efficient 111 cc OHV engine produces 2,200 starting watts and 1700 running watts
- USB port allows charging of portable electronics in order to stay connected. Muffler : Super Lo-tone. Start type: Recoil
- Produces less than 3% total harmonic distortion making it safe for laptop computers, TVs and game systems
3. Honda Super Quiet Portable Generator
Engineered to stay quiet so that it won’t disturb the neighbors, the Honda Super Quiet Portable Generator focuses on greater fuel efficiency and boasts an impressive run-time.
Portable Generators for the Home
These portable generators are ideal for home use.
1. Champion Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator – Editor’s Pick
When it comes to the best portable generators that will fit inside your home or RV, the Champion Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator comes out on top in this category.
- Dual Fuel: Operate your 3800-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 0.6-quarts of oil (included) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Electric Start: Power up the 224cc Champion engine with the handy toggle switch, battery included
- Intelligauge: Keep track of voltage, hertz and run-time hours to easily monitor power output and track maintenance intervals. Dimensions-26.3 x 24.8 x 22.9 inches
2. Rainier Electric Start Portable Generator
With plenty of wattage, the Rainier Electric Start Portable Generator not only meets, but exceeds expectations.
- 4400 Peak Watts and 3600 Running Watts; Up to 18 Hours of Run Time at a 25% Load; 4 Gallon Gasoline Tank with Fuel Gauge and Automatic Low Oil Shutdown
- Electric Start – Easy Access One-Touch Power Switch with Emergency Back-Up Recoil Start
- Features Two 5-20R 120V 20 AMP Outlets for Home Use, One L5-30R 120V 30 AMP Outlet, and One TT-30R 120V 30 AMP Outlet; Two Grounding Ports; VFT Display – Volts, Frequency, and Lifetime Hours
3. Generac Portable Generator
With a convenient handle and impressive wattage for its size, the Generac Portable Generator is all about convenience.
- Quiet, Compact, Easy to use. AC rated output running Watts: 1700, AC maximum output starting Watts: 2200. Rated 120 VAC Amperage-14.1
- Truepower technology provides clean, stable power ideal for sensitive electronics, tools and appliances while the 1.2 gallon fuel tank allows 10.75 hours of run time at 25% load
- Built-in handle makes it easy to transport and the integrated OFF/RUN/CHOKE knob simplifies startup procedures
Portable Generators for Camping
Camping is easier with a portable generator. Check out these choices.
1. SUAOKI Portable Camping Generator – Editor’s Pick
Camping may be about connecting with the outdoors, but living without power can be a challenge.
- [BE COMPACT, BE EFFICIENT]: SUAOKI S270 is not only the most compact power station in the market, but also features as many output ports as possible, think of it, size of two coffee mugs hold 150wh capacity and 10 various outlet ports, how convenient will be when you carry this 2.90 lbs weight portable generator for outdoor activites or camping, 2 hideable handles make it even more portable. If this is your first time to using a power station, this would be you best choice for the price
- [PLUG-AND-PLAY, QUIET]: SUAOKI S270 lithium backup battery pack equipped with 150Wh capacity (3.7V 40500mAh/11.1V 13500mAh), 3*USB ports(5V 2.1A), 1*QC3.0 USB port (18W max), 4*DC ports (12V 15A 180W max), 1*2 prong and 1*3 prong output socket (100W running, 150W peak). Power phone, pad, tablets, GPS, laptop, walkie-talkie, Gopro, camera, drone, festivals bulbs and camping explore devices under 100W, enjoy off the grid life, travel, hunting, fishing, vanlife, cave exploration
- [3 RECHARGE METHODS]: SUAOKI S270 emergency battery supply provides three recharging methods: 1) it takes about 7-8 hours to be fully recharged by AC 110v wall socket, ; 2) by using SUAOKI 60W or 100W solar panel kit (sold separately, recommended), this solar generator can be recharged under direct sun light, the bulid-in MPPT solar charge controller enables quick and smart charge; 3) it also can be recharged through 12V/24V car cigarette socket. (3 types of charging cable is included)
2. WEN Portable Generator
Whether you’re camping, tailgating, or just need a little extra power around the house, the WEN Portable Generator is a cost-effective option.
Figuring out what generator to purchase can be a challenge. However, if you aren’t sure where to start, feel free to try out one of the options that we’ve listed for you above.
Last update on 2021-06-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API