Having to manually clean your floors, stairs, or car can be tedious, not to forget time-consuming. Portable vacuum cleaners are lightweight, energy-efficient, and they work on different surfaces and address various messes with their suction.
Read on to learn more about how to choose a portable vacuum and some of the best picks based on our research.
Portable Vacuums Buying Guide
Below are critical factors to consider when shopping for a vacuum cleaner.
- Weight and Size: Although most portable vacuums are light, that can vary depending on specific brands.
- Location of the Power button: Look for a vacuum that has a locking mechanism, which allows you to use the vacuum continuously without forcing your finger to stay at the power button.
- The Dust Bin and Filter Positioning: Vacuum cleaners come with a filter to clean the air. Check to see if the vacuum uses paper cartridge filters or fiber, washable filters.
- Charge Time and Battery Life: Consider how long it takes the cleaner to recharge when purchasing a portable vacuum cleaner. You should look for an indicator that lets you know when the battery is running low.
Best Portable Vacuums for Cars
Our best picks for best portable vacuums for cars include:
1. Black+ Decker BDH2020FL – Editor’s Pick
Product Weight: 3.2 pounds
Additional Tools: Pet hairbrush
The portable vacuum takes six hours to charge fully, but some users reported a four hour charge time. You’ll love how easy it is to empty the dirt canister and clean it up. Black & Decker add cyclonic filtration to ensure that the dirt canister doesn’t clog quickly. Get a two-year warranty with this vacuum.
- Lasting lithium-ion battery
- Energy-efficient vacuum cleaner
- Easy to maintain and simple to use
- Expensive compared to other models
- Less impressive switch design
- CORDLESS, PORTABLE, & ULTRA COMPACT - 20V MAX Lithium Hand Vac with Pet Brush..Voltage 120 Volts. Charging Time 4 hrs
- FOUR FOOT FLEXIBLE HOSE - Clean floor to ceiling
- WASHABLE BOWL AND FILTER - Easy-to-clean 17 oz. capacity dirt bowl.Suction power:24 AW
2. Dirt Devil DRTSD20005
Product Weight: 4.5 pounds
Additional Tools: Upholstery tool, sliding brush, dusting brush
Find a complimentary dusting brush with the bagless vacuum, an upholstery tool, and a sliding brush. The best part of the bag-less design is that it’s simple to clean when the bowl is full. All you need is to detach the bowl and clean it. Previous users love how this vacuum cleaner doesn’t lose its suction capacity with time.
Moreover, most found it easy to maintain and user-friendly compared to other brands. The only downside is that it can be loud during use, but this doesn’t interfere with its functionality.
- Long attachment hose for easy cleaning
- Comes with a bag-less design
- User-friendly and easy to maintain
- Produces a loud noise during operation
- The clipping mechanism requires improvements
- CONTINUOUS CORDED POWER: Gives you long-lasting suction power so you never have to worry about re-charging in the middle of your clean
- GRAB & GO: The lightweight and portable vacuum design is packed with power and easily accessible for you to clean anytime, anywhere
- DAY-TO-DAY MESSES: Great for cleaning those unexpected messes from pets, kids, or just life in general
Best Portable Vacuums for Stairs
Some of the best portable vacuum cleaners for stairs include:
1. Eureka EasyClean Lightweight Handheld Vacuum Cleaner – Editor’s Pick
Product Weight: 4.85 pound
Additional Tools: Motorized brush
- Lightweight and ergonomic design design
- Comes with two motors
- Easy to empty filter
- Has a loud exhaust fan
- Portable, lightweight handheld vacuum for home, car or garage; Weighs less than 5 pounds
- Motorized brush with on/off switch for thorough cleaning of carpets, Integrated filter with easy to empty dust canister. Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H) 20.00 x 12.00 x 10.00 Inches
- 20-foot cord gives extended reach to clean an entire room, set of stairs or a vehicle in the driveway
2. Bissell Cleanview Deluxe Handheld Vacuum 47R51
Product Weight: 4 pounds
Additional Tools: Hose adapter tool, crevice tool, wide mouth tool
Find the combs that extend out of the front to help pick up dust and other particles in the stairs. You’ll love the hose that ensures you don’t have to carry the portable vacuum around. Simply set the vacuum down and go through the stairs with the hose.
- Easy to use and maintain
- Ideal for those with allergies
- Has several attachments
- Only works for tightest areas and not broader stairways
- Dirt cup capacity - 0.78 liters. A powerful and convenient way to clean your home and car
- Flexible rubber nozzle great for removing dirt and hair on upholstery, stairs, and in cars
- Specialty cleaning attachments—includes hose, crevice tool, and wide mouth tool
Best Portable Vacuums for Pet Hair
Some of the best portable vacuums for pet hair include:
1. Bissel, Pet Hair Eraser Cordless Hand Vacuum – Editor’s Pick
Product Weight: 3 pounds
Additional Tools: Crevice, upholstery
- Has longer battery life
- Comes with a motorized head brush for deep cleaning
- Cordless nature for easy and quick cleaning
- Powerful suction for lifting pet hair
- Has a dual-action filtration system
- The power button may malfunction with several uses
- Takes a while before charging
- The suction may fade out after some time
- BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser hand vacuum is cordless, to clean wherever your pet goes
- Motorized foot provides powerful suction for a deeper clean. Power Rating : 14.4 Volts
- Crevice tool helps clean hard-to-reach areas and tight spaces. Telescoping Extension Wand
2. Black +Decker HLVA325JPO7 Lithium Pet Hand Vacuum
Product Weight: 3.1 pounds
Additional Tools: Crevice tool, push-in brush, wall mount
- Has a dual-speed mode for delicate cleaning
- Comes with a battery sense feature
- Air may blow out of the sides
- MULTI-SURFACE USE – Removes hair, dirt, and debris from carpets, car interiors, furniture, and high-traffic areas.
- PORTABLE – Easy to carry and maneuver, even in tight spaces.
- MOTORIZED PET HEAD – Anti-tangle attachment is designed with rubber tines to power through pet hair.
Best Portable Vacuums for Multi-Surface
Some of the best handheld vacuum cleaners for multi-surface include:
1. Dirt Devil Plus 16V Handheld Vacuum Cleaner – Editor’s Pick
Product Weight: 2.2 pounds
Additional Tools: Turbo tool
- Has a power indicator that lets you know when to recharge
- Long-lasting battery power
- Cordless convenience
- The attachments are challenging to clean
- FASTER CHARGING: 8 Volt Lithium Batter for faster charging, longer runtime, and fade-free power.Voltage:8 volts_of_direct_current
- QUICK FLIP: The versatile Quick Flip crevice tool is stored right on the unit—just flip out the tool and click it into place to easily reach debris in crevices and tough corners
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighing under 2 pounds, you can easily carry this hand vac from one mess to the next
2. Shark Rocket HV292 Ultra-Light Hand Vacuum
Product Weight: 3.7 pounds
Additional Tools: Motorized brush, dusting brush, crevice tool
- Powerful and compact design
- Multiple tools and attachments
- Easy to use dust cup
- The cord doesn’t retract
- Doesn’t have a storage case
- Portable and ultra-lightweight. Less than 4 pounds in total
- True Pet Motorized Brush for handheld deep cleaning
- Easy-to-empty dust cup. No bag needed and empties with the touch of a button.
Best Affordable Portable Vacuum
If you’re looking for a handheld vacuum cleaner on a budget, here are some options to consider.
1. Holife 6KPA – Editor’s Pick
Product Weight: 3.3 pounds
Additional Tools: Crevice tool, dusting brush, liquid nozzle
The non-toxic lithium battery doesn’t have a memory effect. You’ll love the unit’s power and its versatility when cleaning. The three attachments allow you to get into tight spots and handle delicate surfaces. Get the best cleaning results with the high-performance motor that provides a 6KPA cyclonic suction.
- Has a long battery run time
- Lightweight and easy to use
- The design could use some improvements
No products found.
2. Sweager Handheld Vacuum, Handheld Vacuums Cleaner Wireless, handheld Vacuum
Product Weight: 3.77 pounds
Additional Tools: Crevice nozzle, soft pipe
- Has long battery life
- Provides three-in-one versatility
- Lightweight design
- Weak suction power
No products found.
The above handheld vacuum cleaners are effective at cleaning your house, car, and even pet hairs. Decide whether you want a corded or a cordless vacuum cleaner and don’t forget to check the suction power and battery life to find a vacuum cleaner that works for you.
Last update on 2023-03-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API