Sometimes, a full-size workbench isn’t the right choice for you. What if you don’t have as much room to work in, want to pull it outside, or even have to work in somebody else’s space? At times like those, carrying everything over is a huge pain. Portable workbenches provide enough space to work in while still being compact enough to bring wherever you need them.
Before we get into our top choices for portable workbenches, here are some things to consider when making your decision.
- Factors To Consider: The main factors to consider are size, cost, durability, and the presence of any extra features like motors or batteries.
- Standard Features: The most common features of portable workbenches are quick-clamping systems and the ability to fold.
- Workbench Height: The ideal workbench height is the distance from the floor to your first thumb knuckle, as measured when your arms are hanging down and relaxed.
- How To Pick The Right Workbench: Picking the right workbench requires looking at the overall strength and features of the workbench. Metal is heavier but more durable, while wood and bamboo are lighter and ideal for smaller projects.
Budget Portable Workbenches
1. POWERTEC MT4006 – Editor’s Pick
The POWERTEC MT4006 is a simple, lightweight, and affordable workbench ideal for budget-minded buyers.
Product Weight: 12.3 lbs.
Platform Surface Length: 23-7/8″
Max Weight Supported: 220 lbs.
- Easy to carry around
- A decent weight limit for its price range
- Collapses flat
- Relatively low weight limit
- The height is not adjustable
- INCLUDES: (1) Portable Bench Tool Stand with Bamboo Table Top, and (4) Bench Dogs
- FUNCTION: This multi-functional workbench tabletop accommodates a wide variety of woodworking projects, including clamping, cutting, painting and can used as a vise tool or sawhorse
- PREMIUM FEATURES: A portable design with fully adjustable vise panels for project versatility, a built in storage rack for your tools, plus an imprinted metric and protractor scale for optimum accuracy
2. ZotoyaShop Bench
Product Weight: Unlisted, but light
Platform Surface Length: 22.05″
Max Weight Supported: 220 lbs.
- Has a durable steel frame
- Reinforced legs provide added support for heavy jobs
- Reasonable weight limit
- No real special features
- Not suitable for anything except the lightest projects
No products found.
Premium Portable Workbenches
1. HWZGHJY Portable Workbench – Editor’s Pick
This portable workbench doesn’t look like most others, but it has wide flexibility and compatibility with other tools.
Product Weight: 32 lbs.
Platform Surface Length: 17.1″
Max Weight Supported: 330 lbs
- Extremely durable
- Solid metal body
- Ergonomic design
- Heavier than most other portable workbenches
- Uses international measurements
- Unsurpassed versatility coupled with a modern design characterises this new height-adjustable clamping and machine table.
- Quick and easy assembly of static devices such as mitre saws, drill stands, etc. using fastening slots in the MDF plates.
- The new, sturdy and stable Z-design of the base frame facilitates ergonomic - working when either standing or seated.
Portable Workbench with Drawers
1. Seville Classics WEB484 – Editor’s Pick
Arguably more of a regular bench than a workbench, this rolling surface comes with a sliding organizer drawer to store tools and other supplies.
Product Weight: 83.6 lbs.
Platform Surface Length: 48″
Max Weight Supported: 500 lbs.
- Large and durable
- Has a spacious drawer
- Some locking wheels
- Much less portable than other options
- Too heavy for most people to lift
- SOLID-WOOD TOP - Work with confidence on a 1" thick solid wood surface finished in scratch resistant polyurethane. Designed for heavy-duty to accommodate power tools, mounts and clamps safely.
- STEEL ORGANIZER DRAWER - Includes 2 adjustable dividers, 1 non-slip drawer liner, and 7 mounting points - create compartments that fit the way you work.
- HEAVY-DUTY FRAME - Steel frame in a tough graphite finish
Portable Workbench With Vice
1. Keter Folding Table – Editor’s Pick
Keter’s folding table is easily one of the most durable and flexible tables on the market, making it an outstanding buy despite its low price.
Product Weight: 26.9 lbs.
Platform Surface Length: 33 inches, varies slightly
Max Weight Supported: 1000 lbs.
- Incredible weight limit
- Multi-leveled surface area
- Collapses into a briefcase-style form
- Durable materials
- A little heavy
- Some areas may have weaker plastic
- FOLDABLE TABLE: Create the perfect work space for holding woodworking tools or a saw, or for other construction needs with the Keter Folding Table Workbench. It measures 33.46" L x 21.65" W x 29.75" H standing and 33.46" L x 21.65" W x 4.4" H folded.
- STURDY, PORTABLE WORKBENCH: This portable table is built from long-lasting resin and has heavy-duty aluminum legs. It can support up to 1,000 pounds. Its weather-resistant polypropylene construction prevents rusting, peeling, and denting.
- LIGHTWEIGHT FOLDING TABLE: The table weighs only 30 lbs., fully unfolds in less than 30 seconds, and has a built-in carrying handle, so you can bring your work table anywhere without pausing your project for long.
Portable Workbench With Wheels
1. COSCO Folding Workbench – Editor’s Pick
COSCO’s mobile workbench folds up taller than many of its competitors, but it also offers an extra-large surface for big products and extra storage space for tools mid-project.
Product Weight: 52.8 lbs.
Platform Surface Length: 51.4″
Max Weight Supported: 350 lbs (top), 250 lbs (bottom)
- Folds into a narrow body you can still roll around
- A decent weight limit for its size
- Comes with handles
- Relatively affordable
- Not durable enough for heavy-duty use
- Not as compatible with power tools
- Take this portable workbench on wheels anywhere the work is
- Compact and easily folds in seconds for compact storage and transportation
- Heavy duty, made from steel, weight capacity of 350 lbs. on the MDF top shelf, and 250 lbs. on bottom shelf
Small Portable Workbench
1. WORX Sidekick – Editor’s Pick
WORX’s Sidekick is a particularly compact portable workbench that still comes with a variety of measuring tools and accessory holes for added versatility.
Product Weight: 14 lbs.
Platform Surface Length: 24″ x 24″ square
Max Weight Supported: 300 lbs.
- Lighter than most competitors
- Tabletop is detachable
- Comes with clamp dogs to secure things
- Can link these together for a larger surface area
- Relatively low weight limit
- Its design makes it hard to use space under the table
- [LIGHTWEIGHT & STURDY] This flexible and transportable table is tough enough to be a permanent fixture in your workshop, yet light enough to take from job to job. And it folds in half for easy storage and transport
- [LEGS STAY SECURE] Metal legs won’t slide out on pavement or sink into soft ground. You’ll have a solid base to work on a project, or even to tailgate
- [EASY STORAGE] It collapses in a second, so you can throw it in a corner and get it out of the way until the next time you need it
Garage Portable Workbench
1. BLACK & Decker Workmate 1000 – Editor’s Pick
Black & Decker’s Workmate is a stable, rugged portable workbench ideal for most in-garage projects.
Product Weight: 37.8 lbs.
Platform Surface Length: 23.7″
Max Weight Supported: 550 lbs.
- Solid steel frame
- Bamboo work surface
- Excellent weight capacity for its price range
- Can be folded with one hand
- A little heavy
- Does not adjust to different heights
- Heavy-gauge steel frame of the portable work bench securely supports up to 550 lbs
- The garage work bench has a quick-folding design mechanism for portability and easy storage
- Innovative, fast One-Handed Clamp system allows clamps to be adjusted instantly together or independently
Heavy Duty Portable Workbench
1. WORX Pegasus – Editor’s Pick
The WORX Pegasus is a large, heavy-duty portable workbench that doubles as a sawhorse for added versatility.
Product Weight: 28 pounds
Platform Surface Length: 31″ x 25″
Max Weight Supported: 300 lbs (table) or 1000 lbs (sawhorse)
- Flexible, high-capacity workbench
- Uses durable materials
- Compatible with many other WORX products
- Comes with optional compatible tools
- Good but not fantastic weight limit when not a sawhorse
- Only comes with a few clamp dogs
- [WORKTABLE & SAWHORSE] Holds up to 300 lbs. as a work table, supports 1,000 lbs. as a sawhorse. And it’s easy to transition between the two
- [CUSTOM CLAMPS] Two quick clamps are integrated and stay attached even when you fold the table into a sawhorse. Because they’re designed specifically for the Pegasus, they’ll be stronger and last longer
- [LIGHT AND STURDY] It’s only 25 lbs., and its foldable design makes it easy to move and store
As you can see, portable workbenches come in many sizes, styles, and materials. You never know when you’ll need one for a project, so check your options and buy now to be sure your plans won’t suffer for lack of tools.
Further Reading: Here are some good recommendations for portable table saws.
Last update on 2023-03-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API