Whether you’re camping at your favorite park or boondocking in a remote location, reliable power is imperative. That’s what makes RV surge protectors a must-have. Our guide will provide the information you need to make an informed choice. Considering what’s at stake, it’s a worthwhile investment.
Surge protectors go the gamut from your basic power strip to more sophisticated models meant for handling large loads. These products protect your appliances and other devices during a voltage spike, such as a lightning strike. Let’s face it. Shore power has its hiccups, which can wreak havoc on any powered device in your rig.
Features to consider include:
- Types of Electrical Management System (EMS): Surge protectors have metal oxide varistors (MOVs), which take the hit to the ground instead of your stuff. An EMS does the same thing but also safeguards your rig by tripping the electricity source to keep the spike from damaging anything. They are the premier choice between the two.
- Kinds of RV Surge Protectors: Primary models sit between the power source and your house, or in this case, your RV. The secondary ones include various forms of power strips. You’ll also see uninterrupted power supply surge protectors, which keep the juice flowing with a battery.
- Standard Features: Specs vary with the type, but ones you may see include max spike current, energy rating, amps, Underwriter’s Laboratory certification, and MOV indicator lights.
Best Budget RV Surge Protectors
1. CyberPower CSP600WSU Surge Protector – Editor’s Pick
- 6 NEMA 5-15R Surge Protected swivel outlets provide 1200 joules of protection for home and office computers, electronics, and home theater equipment
- (2) USB Charging Ports - 2.4 Amp (shared) are perfect for keeping tablets, smartphones, and other rechargeable devices ready to use
- Compact Design And Swivel Outlets; two banks of swivel outlets are perfect for providing power in tight spaces, such as behind a bookshelf or desk
2. AmazonBasics 6-Outlet Surge Protector
Premium RV Surge Protectors
1. Progressive Industries SSP-50XL Surge Protector – Editor’s Pick
- Surge Protection: 5-Mode / 1650J / 45,000A. Ratings: 50A / 120V/240V / 12,000W. Operating Temperatures: -40C to +105C
- Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection, Miswired Pedestal Indication, Surge Failure Indicator
- Designed for Outdoor Use, Weather Resistant, All Weather Shield Assembly, Thermally Protected
2. Hughes Autoformer PWD30 Power WatchDog Surge Protector
- Fit type: Universal Fit
- Easy grip handles
- Very Light Weight - 3 lbs.
Basic Power Protection
1. GE Outlet Surge Protector – Editor’s Pick
- Expand your power – 6 grounded and protected 3-prong outlets provide power from a distance — perfect for creating a centralized hub for your electronics at your home, office, workshop or garage.
- Versatile Cord – 6ft. power cord housed in a durable PVC insulation and jacket with a space-saving flat plug to allow unit to fit closely to the wall. This surge protector extension cord is strong enough to last a lifetime and pliable enough to easily fully extend.
- Protection – 800 Joules protection rating safeguards your electronics from harmful voltage spikes. Integrated circuit breaker cuts power to your surge protector should it experience overvoltage or overheating.
2. AiJoy Surge Protector
- Plug in 4 Sides, Functional and Plenty of Room. The vertical power strips are on each side of the central column to give plenty of space for those bulkier plugs that would cover the next outlet on the old style flat universal socket and having 4 USB makes this surge protectors much more useful. Perfect for kitchen table, rv, college dorms, living room, bed room, office and so on.
- Charging Tower with USB Fast Charging: 4 USB charger 3.1A MAX Per port(Total is 3.1A) that can give your latest USB devices a fast charging! This power strip outlet supports power: 1250W ~ 125V / 2500W ~ 250V,and it does automatically shut off if the wattage through it goes over 2500W, its surge protection, overload protection, lightning protection, short-circuit protection make it Safe and Reliable．
- Surge Protector Extension Cord 10FT: It is a smaller profile surge power strip and has a much better aesthetic appeal. You can fit 8 cords comfortably unlike traditional power strips where huge plugs take up space. Everything fits and the main cord is long enough to put the power strip with usb where you want. Dimensions are 6.7 x 4.3 x 4.3 in, only weight 1.56lbs.
30 Amp Surge Protector
1. Camco 55312 Circuit Analyzer – Editor’s Pick
2. Surge Guard 44280 Portable Surge Protector
- UL listed surge protector designed to handle the high power consumption demands of RVers
- Analyzes circuits to identify power supply status
- Checks for open ground, open neutral, correct polarity and reversed lines/ground
50 Amp Surge Protector
1. Southwire 34950 Surge Guard – Editor’s Pick
- Continuously monitors for and displays voltage and amp draw (RMS)
- LCD display (English)
- 10 second start up sequence
2. Hughes Autoformers PWD50-EPO-H Smart Surge Protector
- 4, 800 Joules of advanced surge protection
- Smart Circuit Analyzer will shut down power to RV if a dangerous event occurs and an alert will be sent to your smartphone
- Plug-n-play – Only 4 second delay power on after plugging in (others brands are up to 2 minutes)
Final Thoughts About RV Surge Protectors
While RV surge protectors aren’t sexy products, they are critical for keeping your rig and devices safe. They are a worthwhile investment that will pay for themselves the first time they prevent damage from natural causes or your shore power sources.
Last update on 2021-05-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API