Many travelers use their RV to get away, but there are spots that a large vehicle just won’t go. For some, the solution is to bring their bicycles. However, without a proper bike rack, you might find yourself storing those muddy, dusty bikes in your RV’s limited storage space. Here are our favorite RV bike racks to free up some space and make traveling a breeze.
Here are a few things to consider before you head out and buy a bike rack for your RV.
- What to Consider When Choosing an RV Bike Rack: When choosing a bike rack, you should consider the number of bikes you’ll be transporting (frames suited for one to five bikes are available), the weight and size of your bikes, and type of mount.
- Types of RV bike racks: The three bike rack types are bumper-, ladder-, and hitch-mounted. Most RV owners choose hitch mounts, as they are versatile and easily installed. However, bumper and ladder racks are a great choice to free up the RV hitch for towing. In comparison, bumper mounts only fit square bumpers, and ladder racks may be too high for some users.
- What to Look for in the Right RV Bike Rack: Before buying, you should consider durability and bike safety features. For ladder mounts, you should choose an option with pivoting arms to allow for ladder use.
- Standard Features in RV Bike Racks: All bike racks should come with weather-resistant material and security measurements (straps or clamps).
Budget RV Bike Racks
Here are our top choices that are easy on your wallet.
Budget – Bumper Mount
1. Quick Products QPRBM2R – Editor’s Pick
- Conveniently carry up to two bikes from your 4” to 4.5” square bumper
- Adjustable mounting allows a fit for nearly any length bicycle
- All-steel construction, powder coated for corrosion resistance
2. Stromberg Ultra Bike Rack (58853)
This product is an appropriate option if you have bikes of varying lengths, as it is easily adjusted. The rugged steel construction is surprisingly lightweight, rust-resistant, features a tie-down strap, and fits tires up to 2.25” wide. However, this model requires a continuously-welded bumper style and cannot be folded for storage.
Budget – Ladder Mount
1. Swagman Ladder Mount Bike Rack – Editor’s Pick
At 6.61 pounds, the weather-resistant aluminum is lightweight and hardy (resists corrosion and rust), and can be attached quickly to most ladders. Additional features include rubber tie-down straps, dual arms for extra security, and night reflectors. It is an excellent choice if you live in an environment prone to rust or have a ladder with oblong/square vertical struts.
2. CAMCO RV Ladder Mount Bike Rack (51492)
- Form fit cradles securely hold your bikes
- Easily installs to fit standard RV ladders
- Bonus straps provide added security
Budget – Hitch Mount
1. Hollywood Racks Commuter – Editor’s Pick
- Carries 2 bikes in soft rubber cradles; secured with EPDM rubber straps
- Bike rack tilts for easy cargo access; arms fold when not in use
- Fits both 1 1/4" and 2" hitches; Not to be used on a trailer or towed vehicle
2. Reese 2 Bike Rack
With rubber pads, Velcro straps, and a titled rack, this product is convenient. Reviewers appreciate the rising shank (for ground clearance), foldability, and one-year warranty. However, some users report a “wobble” in the receiver and a slightly-decreased carrying capacity over other options.
Premium RV Bike Racks
These are our favorite premium bike racks.
Premium – Bumper Mount
1. XC Bumper Mount Bike Rack – Editor’s Pick
This product is ideal in its versatility as a bumper- or hitch-mount. It folds for storage and has arms with a soft coating to protect your bike. Reviewers call it “sturdy” and claim that fitting the mount to their bikes took less than 15 minutes. This product is an excellent choice if you have various carrying needs or heavy-duty bikes.
2. Swagman XC2 RV Bike Rack
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE & USE: Only takes a few minutes to assemble following the instructions
- KEEP YOUR BIKES STABLE: The light but yet sturdy design keeps your bikes in place, even on the bumpiest roads!
- PAINLESS LOADING & UNLOADING: Once installed, simply load your bikes and you are ready to go! When not in use you can fold the upright bar down to give access to the rear of the RV
Premium – Ladder Mount
1. Surco 501BR Ladder Mounted Bike Rack – Editor’s Pick
- Fits on the ladder of any van or RV
- Pivoting arms allow easy access to use of the ladder
- Securely carries 2 bikes
2. Stromberg Carlson 2 Bike Carrier
This product also allows bikes to hang vertically and comes with a one-year warranty but has a lower carrying capacity. Additional features include rubber brackets to protect the ladder and your bike, arms that swing out of the way, and corrosion-resistant aluminum.
Premium – Hitch Mount
1. Thule EasyFold XT – Editor’s Pick
Despite the price jump, we love everything about this product, including its exceptionally-high carrying capacity, shock/vibration protection technology, anti-rattle hitch, and rust-proof design. Additional features include a locking clamp, foldability, ratcheting straps, oversized reflectors, and independent arms that can carry bikes at different heights. This product is best if you have heavy bikes (such as electric or mountain bikes) or need help mounting your bike (ramp included).
If you’re passionate about travel and adventure, you may have already invested in an RV and high-quality bicycles. Why not take a step to protect both? Bringing bikes on your trips shouldn’t be a hassle. We hope that this guide will help you find a product that will meet all your bike rack needs!
Last update on 2020-06-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API