A dead car battery can be an unexpected and unpleasant situation. Awkward, hefty jump starters are easy to leave behind at home, and when trouble strikes while out-and-about, those jump starters don’t help very much.
However, portable jump starters are lightweight and multifunctional enough to be kept inside of – and charged inside of – almost any modern vehicle. Not all jump starters work for all vehicle types, and some are more capable than others.
Let us guide you through the purchasing process to ensure that you find a portable jump starter that matches your car and your lifestyle!
- Types of Jump Starters: There are several types of jump starters. Some provide just enough juice to restart a vehicle’s battery, while others are designed to recharge that battery completely. Some only act to jump start a vehicle, and others have additional features such as LED flashlights, the ability to be used as a power bank for electronic devices such as smartphones, and powered air compression capabilities.
- How Jump Starters Work: Jump starters store massive amounts of energy, and by using either a set of jumper cables or an internal 12v input, these devices transfer that energy to your vehicle’s battery in order to get it started, allowing you to start your car.
- Things to Consider When Choosing a Jump Starter: One of the most important things to consider when choosing a jump starter is vehicle type. Some jump starters are designed to work optimally with sedans, while others may provide enough power to jump-start an SUV or pick-up truck.
- Different Jump Starters for Different Vehicles: There are various jump starters for smaller cars, larger ones, ones that have electric engines, and vehicles that use diesel fuel. Being aware of which type of vehicle your preferred jump starter is designed for is crucial. Otherwise, you may find that your new portable jump starter is incompatible with your vehicle.
- Features to Look For in Jump Starters: Some of the most important features to look for when shopping for a new jump starter include peak amplitude, power capacity, and weight. Additional features such as flashlights are not nearly as important as these three aspects.
We compiled the best of the best in portable jump starters to help assist you in making the greatest, most informed purchasing decision possible.
The Best Budget Portable Jump Starters
In need of a budget-friendly jump starter? Check out our picks.
1. DBPOWER DJS60 Jump Starter – Editor’s Pick
With multiple inputs, including a USB port, this nifty gadget can be used to charge dying laptops or smartphones when not jump-starting your car.
2. STANLEY FATMAX J7CS Power Station Jump Starter
However, the undisclosed capacity can make this option a little risky. Only time and trial can tell.
- Delivers jump-starting power with 700 peak amps and 350 instant starting amps
- Reverse polarity alarm alerts when there is an improper connection; Connect the clamps to the battery, turn on the switch and start your vehicle
- Features a 120 PSI air compressor to help inflate tires with low pressure; High-powered LED light rotates 270 degrees to help you work in the dark
The Best Premium Portable Jump Starters
Check out our premium picks.
1. DBPOWER G15 Jump Starter – Editor’s Pick
With a three-mode flashlight and a multitude of safety features such as over-voltage protection, this device is a delightful premium option.
- 【UPGRADED 2500A PEAK CURRENT】Upgraded Powerful 2500A peak current can start vehicles with gas engines up to 8.0L or diesel engines up to 6.5L. It can be used more than 30 times per charge.
- 【JUMPER CABLES with an LCD SCREEN】This LED smart jumper clip not only provides traditional protection functions but also has an LCD screen with a built-in voltmeter on the cable. You can observe the voltage of the connected battery without connecting the battery.
- 【PORTABLE 80.66Wh SUPER BATTERY AND TYPE-C PORT】Enriched with 80.66Wh capacity DBPOWER G15 Jump Starter have one more remarkable feature: smart & quick USB outputs support fast-charging speed to charge your devices at the fastest speed.
2. Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660
- 1,700 Peak Amps; 425 Cranking Amps
- 22Ah Clore PROFORMER Battery
- 46" Heavy-Duty #2 AWG Cables
The Best Multi-Purpose Portable Jump Starters
These are ideal options if you’re looking for a multi-purpose jump starter.
1. BEATIT G18 – Editor’s Pick
This jump starter can be used to charge all sorts of electronic devices, and it recharges in as little as six hours. A lithium ion battery chip helps the BEATIT G18 avoid issues stemming from extreme cold or heat.
- Best Powerful - Jump start a dead batteries in seconds, 2000-amp portable lithium car battery jump starter pack, rated for gasoline and diesel engines up to 8 liters. Compact enough to store in your glovebox.
- Safety Protection - Beatit G18 has passed UL2743 standard certification, safe and easy to use car battery jump starter pack without the worry of incorrect connections or sparks. Safety technologies including over-current protection, overload protection, over-voltage protection, over-charge protection and high-temperature protection.
- Wireless Charger - Packed with dual quick-charge 3. 0 USB outport and 10W wireless charge, with capacity21000 mAh, charges your devices faster and is compatible with almost smart devices – including cell phones, tablets, Kindles or digital cameras, etc.
2. DBPOWER DJS50
An included 12v car charger is a convenient alternative to AC/DC charging. However, a traditional wall-charger is included as well for those who prefer in-home charging.
- POWERFUL & COMPACT: Jump start your vehicle (up to 7.2L gas or 5.5L diesel engine) up to 20 times with 800 amps of peak current and heavy-duty clamps and cables. Compact enough to store in your glovebox.
- SMART CHARGING PORT: With 18000mAh capacity and smart USB port, it can fully charge your laptops (include 8 in 1 laptop adapters in the package), smartphones, tablets, and other devices at the fastest speed possible.
- PROTECTION: The high quality and spray gold intelligent jumper clamps have over current protection, short circuit protection, overload protection, over-voltage protection, over-charge protection.
The Best Portable Jump Starters With USB Ports
We recommend these jump starters with USB Ports.
1. TACKLIFE T8 – Editor’s Pick
The enormous capacity of this portable jump starter ensures that it can be used dozens of times before requiring a recharge. The additional features, including a built-in compass, only help to make this model a more attractive option.
- POWERFUL BUT COMPACT: With 800 amps peak current, the Tacklife T8 can jump start 12V cars, SUVs, trucks or vans up to 30 times on a full charge (charging takes 4.5 hours). It’s a compact power bank (18000mAh capacity), can charge your phone with dual USB ports (one is a 5v/9v Quick Charge) and power your other car accessories using a 12V 10A DC port.
- LONG-LASTING STANDBY TIME: Unlike other car jump starters, you can manually turn the Tacklife T8 ‘OFF’ to slow down the battery's self-discharge – allowing to the T8 to hold its charge for up to 12 months while not in use. (Please remember to turn ‘ON’ before charging or it will not charge.)
- USER-FRIENDLY EXTRAS: Not just a car battery charger, the T8 comes equipped with super bright LEDs functioning as an emergency flashlight. The red light can function as a traffic hazard warning signal in the event of an accident. The T8 is a multifunctional life-saver with a strobe, SOS signal and built-in Compass. The digital LCD screen clearly displays the remaining power.
2. BASAF JX12
The additional functions of the BASAF JX12 can certainly make it an attractive option for someone looking for a portable power bank that can also function as a jump starter. Also, the high-powered flashlight can come in handy in a pinch.
The best portable jump starter is one that matches your budget, vehicle type, and personal preferences. Most portable jump starters cost less than $100, ensuring that nearly anyone can afford to invest in this time-saving, and possibly life-saving invention.
Whether you’re seeking a multifunctional jump starter with USB charging capabilities, or a more traditional cable-base device, there’s a device that’s ideal for your needs and desires. We hope that this guide is able to help you in making the best, most educated purchasing decision.
Last update on 2021-04-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API